Saturday, February 24, 2007

Moving to Melbourne


Completely unexpected and undeserved, I received a scholarship that will cover my tuition, in addition to a living allowance, for my three-year Doctoral program. I'm overwhelmed, I'm excited, and I'm nervous.


I know that this semester will fly by but I intend to get the most of it.


A good Aussie friend, whom I work with, is providing ASL (Australian as a Second Language) lessons for me. She was clear that I'm yet a beginner but she hopes to broaden my vocabulary and understanding within the next 4 months. Its a lot of work but I'm dedicated.


Here are some of the words I've been learning:


Bogan--A person who takes little pride in his appearance, spends his days drinking beer and slacking.


Rack off--Get lost!


Arvo--Afternoon


Sanger--Sandwich


Pig's Arse--I don't agree with you


Good onya--Well done! Good for you!


Yobbo--An uncouth person


Drongo--a stupid person

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time!! I am soooo excited for YOU!!!
bravo! Oh, wait that isn't a saying from Down under :)