Friday, March 24, 2006

The Power of Gesture

In my classes, I require the students to give professional business presentations, in which they must include a visual aid. Last Wednesday, a student was presenting and after a comment made by a classmate, he decided to respond by using, what he thought was a universal gesture for you’re lying, and flipped him off. There are days when I feel like I’m not really getting through to my students. I guess I can feel confident that the students who complete my course can use effective visual aids.

I was driving my motorbike with Ngan, my Vietnamese friend, and as I began to turn into the parking lot for the restaurant that we were going to, they pointed me to the other side of the road because there was no room. In the midst of traffic, I had to abandon my first thought to turn left, stop, and move to the right. Well, I obviously ticked off some guy behind me and all I heard was something, something, “Tay” (which is the word for Westerner). He stuck his fist in the air at me. However, it made me laugh because though he was trying to gesture that he was mad and would like to punch me for my bad driving skills, he had his thumb sticking up, which to me communicated, “Yeah, thumbs up, you’re okay!” I was able to assure Ngan that was what he really meant.

No comments: